McHort : Information, Advice, Supply
McHort offers qualified information on all aspects of nursery plant production, especially in above ground containers. We are specialists in the disciplines of crop nutrition, pest and disease control and production techniques. Our extensive knowledge spans more than 40 years of ornamental horticulture experienced in Europe, the United States and here in Australasia.
This website showcases the products we offer for sale and allows you free access to a diverse range of practical knowledge on how to attain the best results using those products.
We operate throughout New Zealand and carry extensive inventories to ensure continuity of supply at our Waikato warehouse/office facilities. In addition, we operate a sales van carrying samples and saleable stock of most of our product range visiting growers throughout the North Island on a rotational basis. This enables us to show the quality of our products and demonstrate their use.
For qualified, expert advice, up to the minute information and the best quality products promptly delivered, call Donald or Hilary at McHort.
DO YOU KNOW HOW TO PREVENT ROOT ROTS?
THE McHORT GUIDE TO ROOT ROT SUPPRESSION
1. Avoid damaging roots when handling or potting
2.Choose a pot with excellent drainage. Planter bags don't do it! McHort ProPot or Eracle pot with it's unique inverted air cone and stand-off feet are ideal. Sizes 15cm ( 1.3Lt) through 17cm (2.5Lt) right up to Monster tubs (90Lt) cater for all needs.
3. Make sure you have a suitable potting mix. Physical structure is critical. The fertiliser regime must eliminate any risk of root burn. Be especially careful if top dress applying and choose a mainly coated product such as APEX Super Iron 21+2.8+4.9+Te.
4.Drench cuttings and tube stock with the McHort combo of TrichoFlow Nursery & Nitrosol Oceanic.
5.Apply Hypermite, predetory mites, at the propagation stage to suppress any Sciarid fly .Back this up with knock-down sprays of McHort Plant Soap. The mites will transplant into later stages of production and keep on working in the root zone for you!
6. Mulch the top of your final pots with a 5cm depth of coarse bark to eliminate Liverwort growth and protect surface roots from drying out or sunstrike.
7. Never put down potted stock in any area likely to surface pond/flood. Even 1 hour standing in water can be lethal to roots and invite in Root Rots.
8.Never put your potted stock under moisture stress. Drying back not only harms the roots but the reduction of free water in the root zone will concentrate the fertiliser salts and may cause root burn.
9.Provide some shade to plants on the edge of the growing area. Sun strike can lead to lethally high temperature on the outer root ball . Root rots can then exploit the injury site.
10. Monitor root zone temperature and apply cooling irrigation if temperatures exceed 27 c. Check out the McHort paper on Root zone temperature management and ensure you are irrigating at the appropriate time of day. You will find it in our Information Resource section.
OUR VANS ARE FULL OF GOOD GEAR
CLICK BELOW TO SEE WHAT ROOT ROT CAN DO!
NOW CHECK OUT HOW TO PREVENT IT!
McHORT INTRODUCED INNOVATIONS IN POT/CONTAINER DESIGN WORKS WONDERS
Check out our ProPot and Eracle designs below.
WOULD YOU LIKE SOME OF THIS?
Try out the McHort Pro Pot range 1.3Lt - 90Lt. sizes plus a 9Lt. Square tub 23x23cm.
Price from less than $1 each.